New garage floor coating: 5 warning signs your floor deserves an upgrade
Exposure to everyday traffic, including vehicles and pedestrians, extreme temperatures, and harsh conditions can cause the garage floor coating to degrade, crack, or fade. A deteriorated floor coating loses its effectiveness. Therefore, upgrading and replacing the garage floor with the best coating options is essential.
In addition, regularly inspect your garage floor to spot warning signs of damage. Here are signs that indicate you need a new garage floor coating.
Cracking Or Flaking Of The Coating
- When your coating begins to crack or flake, it is clear that it is no longer effectively protecting the floor. This can happen due to various factors, including:
Exposure To Elements
- Over time, a garage floor coating can deteriorate due to exposure to the elements. Extreme temperatures, UV rays, and moisture can cause the coating to expand and contract. This can cause the coating to crack or flake, thus allowing water, chemicals, and other substances to penetrate the concrete and cause further damage to the floor.
- Heavy use can cause the coating to crack or flake due to the constant movement of vehicles and other heavy equipment. This happens if the coating is not designed to withstand heavy use or if the surface is not adequately prepared before application.
A cracked coating creates an uneven surface that can be dangerous. In addition, it can make the coating less visually appealing. Therefore, it is essential to address the issue quickly to prevent severe damage.
Discoloration Or Fading
- Discoloration or fading indicates that the coating no longer provides the necessary protection and should be replaced. Exposure to UV rays and extreme temperatures can cause the coating to deteriorate and lose its color. Additionally, the discoloration can be caused by chemical spills such as oil, gasoline, and other substances.
These chemicals react with the garage floor coating and cause it to change color. This can happen if the coating is not resistant to chemicals or if the chemicals are not cleaned up properly. In addition, over time, the buildup of dirt and grime on the garage floor’s surface can lead to fading. Thus, making the coating look dull and worn out.
Wear And Tear
- Scuffs, scratches, and other forms of wear can damage the coating, and make the surface more slippery, which can be dangerous. If the coating no longer provides the required slip resistance, it may be time to replace it. Slip resistance is an essential feature of garage floor coating. It helps to prevent accidents, especially when the floor is wet.
Peeling Or Lifting
- If your garage floor coating is peeling or lifting from the floor, it is time to replace it. Peeling or lifting can be caused by poor surface preparation, improper application, or exposure to the elements. It can also create an uneven surface that can be dangerous.
In addition, if the coating was applied more than ten years ago, it’s a good idea to have it inspected and consider replacing it. A garage floor coating has a lifespan of around ten years. After that, it may start to deteriorate and lose its effectiveness.
If you are looking for a durable and economical garage floor coating option, contact us at 877-727-2259. Crack-X is a civil structures repair company located in Maine and New Hampshire. Our specialists will give you the best advice according to your budget and requirements. Let us help you make the best choice for your floor.