Continue reading to learn about the 5 warning signs that your basement requires waterproofing
Flooded basements do not just make it hard to use the space but also damage your belongings and equipment in the basement. Water also seeps into the walls and foundations to cause severe problems down the line. To avoid ruining your precious possessions, getting your basement waterproofed right away is wise. Here are signs that indicate you need to waterproof your basement.
Presence Of Mold
- The presence of mold in the basement is one of the most evident indications of water leakage. The decay causes severe respiratory issues, including coughing fits and difficulty breathing. However, getting rid of the mold alone does not solve the problem. Mold infestation will continue unless you find and fix the root cause of the problem.
The best way to deal with this problem is to contact a waterproofing company. The professionals will thoroughly inspect your basement to detect the source of moisture and provide the necessary waterproofing.
Water Stains On The Walls
- Even if you don’t see the water, the presence of water stains is enough to confirm that water is leaking into your basement. Marks on the basement walls and ceiling are caused by a specific leak or spill that has gone unnoticed. If you see water stains on the floor, water is seeping up through your basement. So, do not ignore the watermarks and waterproof your basement as soon as possible.
Cracked Or Bowed Walls
- The soil around the basement walls contracts and expands with changes in moisture content. Particularly, clay soils retain more moisture and get saturated quickly. This results in shrinkage of soil followed by drying. The phenomenon exerts pressure on basement walls, causing them to bow, crack, and shift.
Consider waterproofing if your wall alignment becomes uneven or cracks begin forming on the floor. It can compromise the structural integrity of your house if left unaddressed.
Presence Of Musty Odor
- Signs of water damage are usually subtle and go easily unnoticed. Although you may not see pools of water in your basement, the presence of a musty odor can still indicate water leaks. A musty smell in the basement means moisture has lingered around for a while.
In addition, the air in the basement may also feel damp. A leak in the water pipe, poor ventilation, or other such issues is associated with an unpleasant odor in the basement. Basement waterproofing is the best way to solve the problem.
- Another sign of moisture problems is the difficulty operating doors and windows in the basement. Wooden doors and windows absorb water and swell up. This makes them hard to handle, and often, they get stuck. In extreme cases, the doors can warp. Thus, requiring costly repairs or replacements.
Waterproofing Your Basement
- A wet basement poses threats to your home, health, and property. Even a little moisture can become a significant issue if not fixed on time. Therefore, it is crucial to waterproof your basement before the damage gets worse. However, different waterproofing methods are required depending on the cause of the problem. A professional waterproofing company can efficiently identify the cause and use a suitable form to correct the problem.
Any moisture in your basement can result in costly and time-consuming repairs if not corrected. It is advisable to take proactive measures for waterproofing your basement as soon as you notice the warning signs of moisture problems.
If you have any issues regarding your basement or foundation, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Crack X. We make sure your basement is waterproofed and in optimum condition before you start your finishing project. Our specialists will inspect your property and provide the best solution and advice regarding basement finishing. Call us at 877-727-2259. We are a civil structures repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire.