Read on to learn why winter is the best time to water proof your basement
While most people delay waterproofing during winter, it is the ideal time to waterproof your basement. Getting the waterproofing done before the spring thaw is far better to keep your basement clean and dry when the spring arrives. Keep reading to learn the benefits of scheduling waterproofing measures in winter.
Reduction In Humidity
- The first and most important benefit of waterproofing the basement in winter is that you will notice a significant reduction in the humidity level in your home.
It can make the environment of your home much more comfortable and decrease your energy bills. This is because humid air takes longer to heat and cool.
Reduced Moisture Seepage
- Scheduling your waterproofing measures in winter will decrease the probability of water seeping from outside into your basement.
Easier Hire Waterproofing Services
- For most contractors, winter is a quiet season with less work. This makes it easy to hire waterproofing, repair, or other renovation services at this time of the year. You will not have to wait for long to get your work done. In addition to getting the waterproofing done quickly, you will also have the option to select the dates that suit you the best.
- In winter, the ground has less moisture, and the humidity level is lower. This is the best time to eliminate mold that may have developed in the damp spaces. The treatment will be more effective, and less product will be needed when the mold is not actively blooming.
Signs Your Basement Needs Waterproofing
- Recognizing signs that your home may require basement waterproofing is crucial for maintaining a dry and secure living space. Common indicators include visible water damage, such as stains on walls or ceilings, peeling paint, musty odors, or the presence of pooled water in the basement.
Additionally, even if small, foundation cracks require immediate attention from professional waterproofing services to prevent further deterioration. Various methods are available for basement waterproofing. Seeking expert guidance is advisable before deciding.
Winter Basement Waterproofing Tips for a Dry Home
- Here are some additional tips to keep your basement dry during extreme winter weather.
Avoid Snow Piles
- When clearing snow around your home, avoid piling it against the walls. These snow mounds can become water sources, threatening your basement. Temperature fluctuations may lead to the formation of ice dams, potentially weakening your basement walls. Preventing water from expanding and contracting near your basement is crucial.
Maintain Clean Gutters
- Ensure your gutters effectively guide water away from your home. Allowing water to pool near the foundation can cause it to seep into your basement. Before winter sets in, check and clear your gutters of leaves and debris to prevent snow-related damage. This practice ensures that melting snow flows away from the foundation, preventing potential basement leaks.
Winter Care for Sump Pump
- Take extra care with your sump pump during winter. Ensure that the sump pump hose doesn’t have low spots where water could accumulate. If your discharge hose is outside, remove it to prevent freezing during winter, ensuring your sump pump operates efficiently to keep your basement dry.
If you have any issues regarding your basement or foundation, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Crack X. We ensure your basement is waterproofed and in optimum condition before starting your finishing project. Our specialists will inspect your property and provide the best solution and advice regarding basement finishing. Call us at (877) 727-2259. We are a civil structures repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire.