When to ignore and when to heed – Basement waterproofing myths exposed
Having a home is rewarding, but it comes with overwhelming responsibilities. Although challenging, neglecting specific maintenance issues can lead to expensive damage, especially when dealing with basement waterproofing. Misconceptions surround basement waterproofing, and understanding these realities can assist homeowners in making informed choices when dealing with basement water problems.
You Only Have To Waterproof Damaged Areas
- One of the common misconceptions is that waterproofing areas where the leaks occur is sufficient. However, water damage can occur anywhere in the moist basement, and it is difficult to predict where the weakest spot may be. Therefore, it is not wise only to waterproof the areas where leaks occur.
Instead, it is essential to identify the underlying cause of the issue and waterproof the entire basement. Future incidents of water leakage in your basement can be prevented by addressing the root cause of the problem, ensuring your basement remains waterproof and durable for a long time to come.
Waterproofing Is Not Durable
- Contrary to popular belief, a properly waterproofed basement lasts for years if done by a qualified expert. Hiring a professional basement waterproofing company is imperative to ensure that your basement waterproofing is effective and long-lasting. However, when choosing a contractor, considering their experience level is crucial.
Seasoned basement waterproofing contractors have the expertise and skills to provide high-quality services. In addition, consider the warranty offered by the contractor, as it can provide valuable protection from unexpected damage to your waterproofed basement. This saves money and prevents inconvenience in the long run.
Painting the Walls Will Solve the Problem
- Another common myth among DIY enthusiasts is that they can resolve basement waterproofing issues by simply painting their walls. While this might offer a short-term remedy, it’s important to note that paint is not an effective basement waterproofing solution. The reason is that the pain cannot penetrate walls deep enough to deliver the desired long-term results. However, professional basement waterproofing is a comprehensive and effective solution for preventing water damage in your basement.
It addresses issues such as cracks in the foundation or improper drainage to prevent water from entering the basement in the first place. Achieving comprehensive basement waterproofing demands the use of specialized equipment and proven techniques, typically carried out by seasoned professionals with years of expertise in waterproofing. Therefore, consider professional basement waterproofing services for a long-term solution to keep your basement dry and protected.
It is a Costly Investment
- This is one of the biggest misconceptions about basement waterproofing. While the initial cost of basement waterproofing may be higher than the temporary solutions, the benefits make it a highly cost-effective investment in the long run.
Waterproofing Can Only Be Done During the Summer
- Some homeowners falsely believe basement waterproofing can only be done during warmer months. However, it can be done at any time of the year; it is particularly important to address basement waterproofing during rainy seasons when the risk of flooding is higher.
Waiting until warmer months to waterproof your basement after flooding is highly dangerous. The more you wait, the more water damage the basement will likely sustain. Therefore, it is best to take action as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your basement. In addition, professional basement waterproofing contractors are trained and equipped to work in any season.
If you require professional basement waterproofing services , don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Crack X. We ensure your basement is in optimum condition before starting your finishing project. Our specialists will inspect your property and provide the best solution and advice regarding basement finishing. Call us at 877-727-2259. We are a civil structures repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire.