Learn 4 significant factors that affect the durability of epoxy flooring
Whether it’s a garage floor that you want to keep nice or a showroom at your business, epoxy flooring has your back. Epoxy flooring offers several advantages no matter where you choose to install it. However, certain elements can impact its durability. Here is what you need to know.
Factors That Affect Durability
- Epoxy flooring is ideal for various levels of traffic and requires minimal upkeep. However several factors may result in wear and tear. Let’s have a look at the factors that affect the strength of the epoxy coating.
Process Of Installation
- When it comes to epoxy flooring, installation is the most critical aspect that requires attention. Although the DIY route may appear to be a cost-saving method, in practice you might end up paying a lot more for your epoxy flooring. The way flooring material is applied determines the strength, beauty, and resilience of epoxy floors.
The epoxy specialist you choose must understand how different chemicals react. Their goal should be to achieve flawless results that meet high-quality standards.
- Unlike commercial floors that are put under more stress by heavy traffic, epoxy floorings in homes are not likely to endure heavy foot traffic. It is usually the homeowners, visitors, or friends a few times a week who walk over the epoxy floors.
Before installing an epoxy floor, it is advisable to inform the epoxy flooring contractors about the traffic you expect your floors to receive. In this way, the contractors will come up with a solution to deliver flooring that withstands wear and tear for as long as possible.
Maintenance Of Epoxy Floors
- Maintenance of epoxy floors goes a long way in extending their lifespan. Regular cleaning and upkeep can increase the durability of epoxy floors. The frequency of cleaning depends on the usage and traffic.
However, a quick sweep daily and detailed cleaning once every week would be enough to make your epoxy floors last longer. As a rule, clean the floor whenever it looks dirty, it’s as simple as that.
Resilience Of Epoxy Flooring
The epoxy creates a hard bonding with the concrete underneath thus providing a seamless and extremely durable flooring solution. Epoxy flooring is strong enough to endure the effects of the various elements including:
- Epoxy flooring is not only suitable for heavy traffic but can also endure the heavyweight. Epoxy floorings found in hospitals, fire departments, and airports efficiently withstand heavy loads without scratching or denting.
The flexural strength of a typical epoxy floor is above 10,000 psi. But strength can further be improved by additional topcoats of urethane coating. This makes the surfaces harder and abrasion-resistant.
- Epoxy flooring can successfully withstand heavy impacts such as dropping off materials, dragging heavy equipment, etc. Epoxy floorings are tough and durable, however, adequate care is crucial to make your epoxy floors last for years.
When you notice a scratch or dent, take necessary measures to fix it before the damage gets out of hand.
Harsh Environments and Temperature Extremities
- Epoxy flooring is an ideal choice of flooring for industries dealing with extreme cold or hot temperatures such as warehouses or manufacturing facilities. Epoxy flooring can endure harsh environments depending on the type of epoxy flooring and the installation process.
Urethane and certain other top coatings can provide added strength. Epoxy flooring is an excellent solution for a wide variety of settings due to its strength and durability. It is therefore wise to choose a flooring solution according to your traffic needs and flow.
If you are interested in installing an epoxy floor in your home, then give us a call at 877-727-2259. Crack-X is a structural repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire. We also specialize in basement waterproofing and finishing contact us anytime.