Read about the benefits and drawbacks of DIY foundation repair
The Foundation of a home plays a vital role in maintaining the durability of the entire structure. However, multiple factors can give rise to foundational problems over time. Regardless of how simple it may seem, never attempt to repair your foundation as a DIY project. Here are 5 reasons your home’s foundation repair should be best left to the experts.
Some Projects Require a Complex Solution
- Some foundation problems are simple and require a straightforward method of repair, while others are complex and require a complicated solution. For instance, underpinning involves the installation of piers to level, support, or lift a failing foundation.
Depending on the extent and type of the problem, experts use repair methods in conjunction to address the underlying issue. However, this is impossible to do at home by yourself without the experience, expertise, and specialized equipment that the foundation experts have.
Experts Can Differentiate Between Minor And Major Problems
- Special training and extensive experience are required to distinguish between signs of minor problems and foundation failure. Over time, new or old homes are susceptible to foundation distress and show signs of cracked walls, floor, or foundation, bowed basement walls, water leaks, tilted components, etc.
Although anyone can detect these issues, it takes a trained foundation expert to determine the severity of the problem and underlying cause and recommend the right repair solution.
Specialized Equipment Is Required
- In addition to having the expertise to detect foundation issues, experts also have the specialized equipment needed to perform repairs. DIY foundation repair kits are only helpful for fixing non-structural cracks. They are not valid for repairing structural damage as it requires beams, piers, hydraulic jacks, and sometimes a hydraulic jacking machine.
These items are not available to a layman. On the other hand, a professional foundation repair company carries all the equipment necessary to perform foundation repairs properly.
DIY Foundation Repairs Do Not Offer a Warranty
- DIY foundation repair projects do not come with a warranty. Conversely, several reputable foundation repair companies provide a lifetime transferable warranty. This type of warranty is a valuable asset for homeowners as it assures potential buyers that it covers repair and replacement. The transferable warranty can be transferred from one homeowner to another. If you intend to sell your home, the warranty will automatically be transferred to the new owner.
In addition to the warranty, knowing that a reputable contractor does your foundation repair gives you peace of mind. It is advisable to hire a contractor that offers multiple services, including landscape drainage, sewer line repair, house lifting, etc. Since foundation problems can arise from a wide range of problems, hiring a company specializing in different fields will guarantee that repairs are done right the first time.
Risk Of Injuries
- A DIY foundation repair project can go wrong in several different ways. Thus, risking the safety of the individual performing the repairs and the other people in the house. On the other hand, foundation repair companies have all the experience and the safety gear to carry out a safe and successful repair project. Foundation is a critical structural element that keeps your home from collapsing.
Therefore, foundation repairs should not be experimented on in a DIY project. Moreover, if you are unsure of what you are doing, a DIY project can cost you more money in the long run. A contractor might have to undo any attempted DIY repairs. This may require additional resources in time, labor, and money.
If you have any issues or need more information about foundation repairs, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Crack X. Our specialists will inspect your property and give you the best solution. Call us at 877-727-2259. We are a civil structures repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire.