Here is the second part of our tips for finishing a basement
A finished basement not only adds a versatile extra space to your home but also boosts your house’s market value. Finishing a basement is both time-consuming and a big expense. In our second installment, we take a look at the pros and cons of hiring a professional basement finishing company. Read more below.
Here are our picks for the top 3 pros of hiring a professional basement finishing service.
It Is Less Stressful
- If you’ve hired a professional service for your basement finishing project, you can enjoy the hands-off approach. You only need to communicate your ideas, plans, and budget with the contractor and they’ll take care of everything.
You also don’t have to worry about making purchasing trips to different hardware and equipment stores. You will face minimum stress because you know a professional is taking care of your basement finishing project.
It Is Safe
- Professional basement finishing services & contractors have been doing this kind of work for years. They have ample experience regarding preparing and finishing different types of basements, under different budgets. They also know all the risks, hazards, and safety requirements that must be fulfilled before starting a finishing project.
One of the main things to look out for is a fully waterproofed basement, before starting a finishing project. Otherwise, there is the risk of ruining the entire project and investment. Your contractor is going to be fully aware of this fact and will take adequate waterproofing measures.
Better Quality & Finishing Is Achieved
- The contractor will know how to properly fit all the panels, how to hide the wires and HVAC shafts from plain view. The contractor will also know what color scheme and what type of lighting will be best for your basement.
By utilizing a professional basement finishing service, you can expect to have high-quality work that will make your basement look more appealing.
- Based on our experience, here are the top 3 cons of hiring a professional basement finishing service.
It Can Drain Your Budget
- The cost of a finished basement can range from 10,000$ to 100K $. You will also need to pay for safety and building permits. In addition, you will pay for consultation and assessment of your property.
Other costs that you can incur include waterproofing your basement and foundation repair if the contractor deems it necessary.
Supplier & Quality Issues
- Each professional basement finishing service comes with its own list of preferred suppliers. The contractor will insist that all the purchases be done from their preferred supplier. They might even guarantee you a good price and a better quality than the market.
As a homeowner, you must be willing to do a market survey and compare prices by yourself. Since you are paying for everything, then it should be up to you regarding what to purchase from where.
Lack Of Communication
- One major problem reported by homeowners is that there is a lack of proper communication between them and their contractors. As a result of miscommunication and wrong interpretation, the basement looks much different than how you imagined it would look.
Some contractors aren’t in the habit of writing down all of your requirements, and this causes problems for homeowners later. In order to avoid angry & heated situations, it is best to make sure your contractor completely understands your requirements before starting work.
If you are interested in getting your basement finished, you should give us a call at 877-727-2259. We, at Crack-X, are a civil structures repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire. Our specialists will inspect your basement’s suitability for a finishing project. If your basement needs repairs or waterproofing, we have in-house experts that can fix these problems once and for all.