How to avoid 5 costly basement waterproofing misconceptions
Basement waterproofing is commonly misunderstood, which prevents homeowners from seeking a permanent solution to protect their basements from moisture buildup. However, basement waterproofing is a valuable investment that keeps your property’s value and integrity intact. This article will walk you through the baseless misconceptions surrounding basement waterproofing.
Waterproof Only The Damaged Area
- One of the common misconceptions is the notion that waterproofing where the leaks occur is sufficient. However, water damage can occur anywhere in the moist basement, and it is difficult to predict where the weakest spot may be. Therefore, it is not sufficient to waterproof the areas where leaks occur.
Instead, it is essential to identify the underlying cause of the issue and waterproof the entire basement. Future incidents of water leakage in your basement can be prevented by addressing the root cause of the problem, ensuring your basement remains waterproof and durable for a long time to come.
Waterproofing Is More Effective During Warmer Months
- Some homeowners falsely believe basement waterproofing can only be done during warmer months. However, it can be done at any time of the year; it is particularly important to address basement waterproofing during rainy seasons when the risk of flooding is higher.
Waiting until warmer months to waterproof your basement after flooding is highly dangerous. The more you wait, the more water damage the basement will likely sustain. Therefore, it is best to take action as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your basement. In addition, professional basement waterproofing contractors are trained and equipped to work in any season.
Waterproofing Is Not Durable
- Contrary to popular belief, a properly waterproofed basement lasts for years if done by a qualified expert. Hiring a professional basement waterproofing company is imperative to ensure that your basement waterproofing is effective and long-lasting. However, when choosing a contractor, considering their experience level is crucial.
Seasoned basement waterproofing contractors have the expertise and skills to provide high-quality services. In addition, consider the warranty offered by the contractor, as its warranty can provide valuable protection from unexpected damage to your waterproofed basement. This saves money and prevents inconvenience in the long run.
A Waterproof Coating Will Fix Everything
- It is essential to understand that painting a waterproof coating on basement walls differs from basement waterproofing. While it may provide a temporary solution, it is not a comprehensive waterproofing solution. In addition, the waterproof coating does not prevent moisture absorption, leading to continued dampness and water damage over time. Many homeowners opt for a waterproofing coat because they think it is more affordable; however, it is not durable and will cost more in the long run.
On the other hand, basement waterproofing is a comprehensive and effective solution for preventing water damage in your basement. It addresses the issues such as cracks in the foundation or improper drainage to prevent water from entering the basement in the first place. Therefore, consider professional basement waterproofing services for a long-term solution to keep your basement dry and protected.
Basement Waterproofing Is Expensive
- This is one of the biggest misconceptions about basement waterproofing. While the initial cost of basement waterproofing may be higher than the temporary solutions, the benefits make it a highly cost-effective investment in the long run.
If you require professional basement waterproofing services, don’t hesitate to book an appointment with Crack X. We ensure your basement is in optimum condition before starting your finishing project. Our specialists will inspect your property and provide the best solution and advice regarding basement finishing. Call us at 877-727-2259. We are a civil structures repair company operating in Maine and New Hampshire.