Learn 5 innovative ways to protect garage floor
One of the most overlooked and damaged spaces in a house is the garage floor. Most people don’t bother to repair the garage floor because they are afraid it will require another repair which will cost them money. In this article, we take a look at 5 innovative ways to not only protect your garage’s floor but also to make it look amazing. Read more below.
- Epoxy is a type of paint coating that hardens after some time. This type of floor coating is highly desirable for places that are prone to moisture and humidity. This is because it does not let water pass through.
Epoxy floors can have a variety of colors and textures, depending on the base paint. The mixture in its liquid form is viable only for two hours. After two hours, it begins to harden and within a few hours, the floor is ready for use. It is easy to clean and is stain resistant. It offers a nice ambiance to the room and does not scratch easily either.
- Most homeowners prefer to simply paint their garage floor. This method, although highly labor-intensive, can yield excellent results. One important thing to keep in mind is to use the appropriate type of paint for the garage floor.
Paint can prevent water seepage to some extent, and temporarily hides cracks and imperfections in the garage floor. However, most painted floors get dirty quickly, and cleaning them takes a lot of time. This method is used if the homeowner doesn’t want to spend too much money on flooring although a painted floor lasts only for a maximum of three years.
- Interlocking tiles are made from high-grade heavy-duty rubber and vinyl. They are generally available as colorful squares that can snap together to form a pattern. These come in a variety of color options depending on the homeowner’s preference. To use them it is imperative that the garage floor is leveled properly.
Interlocking tiles sit on the garage floor. They aren’t applied, and thus can be removed later on. They are moderately durable and aren’t excellent in preventing water and moisture from passing through.
Peel And Stick Tiles
- One popular option for garage flooring is peel and stick tile. They are made from rubber and vinyl, the same as interlocking tiles. However, they can be peeled and stick to the garage flooring. They are also available in a variety of color and texture options.
They are most suitable for a garage floor in which there are no cracks and the floor is leveled. This isn’t a long-term solution, but it gets the job done.
- Polyurethane coating is a new type of garage flooring option that has become increasingly popular in the past few years. It is decorative, flexible, and has a permanent floor coating that helps to protect garage floors from damage and moisture. The best feature about a polyurethane coating is that it can withstand harsh climatic conditions, water pressure, vibrations, gas pressure, and heavy load being dragged on it. It is highly durable and very difficult to scratch. It helps to prevent moisture and water from seeping through thus promoting a waterproof environment, especially in the case of basement waterproofing.
Ideally, the garage’s floor will be prepared by leveling and crack repair. A liquid polyurethane coating is applied to the garage floor, which hardens after some hours. Before the floor hardens, decorative colored flakes can also be added which will then need to be covered with a polyurethane coating top. Finally, the garage floor is ready for use.
We, at Crack-X, are a civil structures repair and garage flooring specialist company operating in Maine and New Hampshire. Call us today at 877-727-2259 and our specialists will inspect your property. They will recommend the best flooring option to you that lasts a very long time.